Monday, February 13, 2012

when your day gets turned around

Yesterday, I didn’t need the calendar to tell me it was a Monday. I could tell the moment I woke up, got out of bed and put water in the wrong compartment of the coffee pot. I didn’t realize it until it started pouring out everywhere.

I know, it’s a clear sign I should start getting more sleep. But instead I drank an extra cup of coffee.

When it was time for us to leave the house, Anika ran to the door screaming with her hat, sweater and jacket, socks and shoes. What was missing? A diaper and pants.

A full-on tantrum ensued at the mere suggestion of putting on pants and a diaper. Every part of her little body participated in the veto of pants and diapers. I like to choose my battles, and I choose very few, but diapering my 18-month-old is one thing I’m going to stick to.

A few tantrums later, we eventually made it outside, clothed kids and all. As I tried to lift Anika into the car, she gave me The Look – a look I know I’ll see again when she’s a teenager with a curfew. But instead of staying out all night, all Anika wanted to do was climb into her carseat herself. Despite our impending lateness, I caved and let her do it (and was surprised at what a good job she did).

While she tried to buckle herself in, I began the task of cleaning the snow off the car. What I thought was fluffy snow was a solid mass of ice that had formed into my car’s windshield. My scraper broke while I tried to remove the ice mass, but I was still able to use it – until it broke again and was as useful as a toothbrush in removing the ice mass.

I turned on my windshield wipers to remove the remainder of the ice/snow/iceberg. They broke, too!

Expecting that to be the worst of the morning, as I parked at the daycare, another mom informed me my tire was almost flat. I ran to the gas station to fill up the tire with air, hoping it would last until I got home from work.

It was an eventful Monday morning and I was thankful it didn’t get any worse as the day went on.


NOTE: I like to keep organized, so I'm reposting my old blogs in one spot. This one originally ran on March 31, 2009. 

No comments:

Post a Comment