Monday, February 6, 2012

Three days

NOTE: I like to keep organized, so I'm re-posting my blogs to keep them in one place. This originally ran  November 5, 2008.

Our family took three days to adjust to daylight savings time. I was hoping it would be longer.

I used to think casual smooth mornings were a myth. For two days I knew what it felt like to get up and watch a little of the news as I crawled out of bed and had a cup of coffee. I knew what it felt like to get kids to daycare on time and without tantrums.

Monday was great. Everyone was up early, made it to daycare on time and in a relaxed fashion. The girls and I read a book before we left. Everyone was dressed and ready to go —minutes before we had to leave. After dropping everyone off, I had time to stop at my favorite drive-thru coffee shop for a coffee. 70 degree weather aside, the barista and I decided it was the best Monday ever in the history of Mondays.

On Tuesday, I felt I could sustain this new system. I had easily been up at 5:30 a.m. for two whole days, without the help of the alarm clock. I'd watch a little of the morning news, take a minute to myself before the kids woke up. Yes, it had been a relaxed two days. I was ready to commit to this new schedule. 

Today is Wednesday. And things went back to normal. Anika (13 months) went sleep early and woke up at her classic hour of 1 a.m., insistent that we play peek-a-boo for approximately 60 minutes.  By morning we were tired and cranky and struggling to start the day. Time to leave rolled around, and it was tantrum city due to a show crisis. What happened to our two relaxed mornings? I wanted more. 

We were all late today.  Perhaps with a little determination I can achieve them again one day. Then again, maybe I'll just dream about it as I snooze the alarm one more time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment