Friday, February 3, 2012

Embarrassing, irrational fears

NOTE: I like to be organized, so I'm reposting my old blogs to have them all in one place. This originally ran on July 10, 2008.



I've jumped out of planes numerous times, climbed rocks, slithered through small caves, walked (and danced) on a tightrope and done more tricks on my bicycle than I can count. In my head, I've been planning a scuba diving trip for my next adventure. There are not many things that strike a chord of fear through me.

Until my last experience at the dentist. I've always been diligent about going to the dentist, brushing and flossing. But the last time I went to the dentist (the first time at that dentist), I coud tell something wasn't right. Blood was gushing from my mouth. For three subsequent months after a general cleaning, my teeth constantly ached and I could only eat soft food.
I had been to the dentist twice a year for my entire life and I couldn't believe it, but one bad experience left me fearful.

Six months after the ordeal, we discovered I was pregnant and I stopped the new dentist search in favor of searches in baby registries and baby name books.

As with many pregnant women, my teeth and gums became sensitive. I just couldn't muster up the time and courage to make another dental appointment. With everything else going on in my body, I thought more tooth pain might just send me over the edge. I planned to go right after the baby was born.

After being on my to-do list for a year, I finally made an appointment. (What will my mother say if she reads this?) I tried to be rational. I asked myself how I could expect my children to not fear the dentist when I couldn't go myself. I had to be the adult example. I reminded myself if I could birth a child with minimal medication, I can get my teeth cleaned. Now that I think about it, I was less nervous for childbirth.

As the hygenist cleaned my teeth, there were a few squirmy moments, but all in all it wasn't that bad. I'm also glad to say I've finally conquered my embarrassing, irrational fear!

No comments:

Post a Comment