Friday, February 3, 2012

i'm a sucker

NOTE: I like to be organized, so I'm reposting my old blogs to have them all in one place. This originally ran on July 3, 2008.


As with every July 3rd, there will be fireworks tonight. And as with many summer activities this year, I felt I had to pass. It just seemed to risky with a 9-month-old.

It's late and it will be crowded at the lakefront. It will take effort to beat the crowd, park, find a place to sit ... and if all that trouble leads to an overtired cranky baby who finds the fireworks too loud (even with ear plugs), I'll be the cranky one.

Case closed, so I thought.

My sister and her two children, ages 4 and 7, found a great spot to watch the fireworks - right on the lakefront - and then they invited us with their most enthusiastic "woop, woop!"

My soft spot is for my nephews' woop woops. My sister and I have changed many a plan, stayed later at a festival, stayed extra days on a vacation due to the woop, woop. I'm sure Anika will someday learn the secret of the woop woop from her cousins.

Sure, call us suckers. It would be true, but it always ends with more fun, so you can't blame us. We're suckers for family fun. So now I am faced with two woop woops and everyone is excited. How can I say no to enthusiasm?

When I get home, I'm going to encourage Anika to take a very long nap, pack her up for her first Independence Day celebration and cross my fingers. May the woop woops be with us -- all night!

No comments:

Post a Comment