Monday, February 13, 2012

Organizing the organizers

People who know me may say I am organized. People who know me really well will know it’s one of my biggest struggles to stay that way.

 Right now, my purse houses a few mini-organizers. It’s also overflowing with papers. 

One is a weekly calendar where I log birthdays, work meetings, doctor appointments, school functions and day-to-day activities. My next calendar is a monthly calendar in which I write down all our bills and account information. Then I have a checkbook billfold and a wallet. These are the four things I need to have with me at any given moment.

 At home I have the kitchen wall calendar, in which I write just about everything on my personal calendar, but my husband also contributes to this one, albeit occasionally. Then I have a smaller hanging calendar (of bill information), a kitchen notebook (of house info) and numerous file folders (of more house info) in my desk.

 The funny thing is that all those calendars keep me less organized. I’m always scrambling from one calendar to another, noting something on one, but not the other. My friends tell me I need a Blackberry or an iPhone. But I really just need one, perfect organizer to write on, not type on. I decided it was time for me to merge my calendars, grow up and get more organized.

 I began the hunt for one comprehensive organizer, with all the info I need, weekly and monthly views, no address book (too bulky), and wallet slots and checkbook insert. And it had to be compact, because I didn’t want to buy a new purse, too. And it wouldn’t hurt if it was cuter than a standard black or brown. After all, I do have to carry this around for a year.

 I was firm in my decision to get one immediately. I found a black and white spotted booklet with that met my standards. It was medium-sized, but not packed with extra information I won’t use. And it was under $20. Perfect.

 I bought it, sat down and started thinking how I was going to transfer information. I did have concern that the fabric cover wouldn’t last 16 months through kids, dogs, or the open lipstick in my purse. But since it matched every other particular detail I outlined for myself, I let it slide.

 Then I realized the calendar went from August 2009 to July 2010 - a college calendar. I started feeling anxiety that I’d have to find a new personal calendar considerably sooner than usual, and possibly not be ready for “the switch.” My year doesn’t involve summer break anymore, so I need a calendar for all of 2010.

 I told myself to get over it, not to be so concerned about every minor detail and make the best of my new a organizer. But I couldn’t.

I returned it, and defaulted to my 4-calendar purse system. I haven't given up hope that my perfect organizer is out there, but I did give up hope on finding it in one day. 


NOTE: I like to keep organized, so I'm reposting my blogs in one spot. This one originally ran on September 1, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment