Monday, February 6, 2012

How one becomes six

NOTE: I like to keep organized,so I am reposting some blogs so they are in the same spot. This guest post by my sister, Tracy, ran on February 2, 2009.

I love to tell a story. And so does my sister. So say hello to Tracy, my guest blogger, sister and mom to two boys. 


At my son's birthday party, he received the exciting gift of not one, but two Webkinz. Now, until just a few months ago, I had no idea what a Webkinz even was and had no idea of the Webkinz world we would be entering. So, when seeing TWO Webkinz, my son immediately cuddled a Webkinz fish and then said, “I want to give one to my cousin!” Well, his cousin of the same age was thrilled and exclaimed, “I love this frog already!” All were happy and I was filled with motherly pride at the children’s behavior.

I should have treasured that feeling while it lasted. As bedtime and the end of the party approached, my son decided that he wanted the frog back because it was part of his present (true enough). However, we talked about how when you give a gift, you can’t it back. He understood, but then said if he was in his cousin’s shoes, he would be sad and would want to give the Webkinz back. However, he was not wearing those shoes.

With tears all around, I gave the frog back to my son with a cross-my-heart promise to go to the store and buy my nephew a Webkinz frog in the morning. Problem solved.

Except the store did not have any frogs … so, I told my nephew I would order the frog online. But, the thought of waiting days for a package was an abstract concept for a 5-year-old. So, I said I would still order the frog online AND buy him a Webkinz that day. This sent my son into a hysterical crying fit. He also wanted a Webkinz that day in addition to the two he had already received.

I caved. $18.50 later, everyone was happy and peace filled the 5-year-old world.

So, maybe I made all the wrong decisions: I gave in at the store, I gave the gifted Webkinz back to my son. But, I am still proud as a parent that his initial, immediate response was to share and be generous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment