Monday, February 13, 2012

What i have in common with obama

wWhat do I have in common with President Obama? Neither of us like ketchup. 

Last week, Barack Obama was seen ordering a burger in Virginia – without ketchup. It sparked some controversy, generally among the political blogging scene (most of which I hope was tongue in cheek, no additional pun intended). 

I too, like President Obama, can’t stand the sight or smell of the popular condiment. Maybe it started in my teenage years working at a fast food joint. Or maybe it’s just because “it’s really, reeeeally yucky,” to borrow a quote from my 5-year-old stepdaughter. 

Realistically, it’s just a smell I can’t stomach. And I think are far more superior condiments out there – mustard being one of them. 

In sticking with my total avoidance of ketchup, I try not to let the kids have ketchup (even though it’s a discussion I sometimes lose). I don’t believe that everything needs to be smothered in ketchup or cheese to be kid-friendly. 

I do, in fact, love just about everything in ketchup: tomatoes, vinegar, salt, but I can pass on the high fructose corn syrup. Give me a chopped tomato salad in vinegar with a pinch of salt and that’s fine. 

But when it comes to burgers, I’m mustard all the way.


 NOTE: I like to keep organized, so I'm reposting my old blogs in one spot. This one originally ran on May 11, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment